Confession: I spend to much time on social media.
I would probably cringe if I knew the amount of time I spent staring at a screen or checking my social media accounts. In my defense, I haven’t always been social media obsessed. In fact, I boycotted Facebook for several years when I was younger… I know I’m such a rebel. I do take into account that one of the reasons I have been spending more time on social media is Pink Thoughts & Espresso Shots. I love this blog and want to see it succeed and that requires time and dedication. I am hard pressed for time due to having a full time job and being a mother (this is not a poor me statement- just a fact). So any chance I have to squeeze in some blogging I do it.
As a self proclaimed lifestyle/fashion blogger it is really important to me that my pictures and my content be my own. I want this website/blog to be a reflection of me. Of the person I think I am and who I am rediscovering after motherhood. I feel like as you get older life becomes more about other’s and less about yourself and while that’s okay it can be paralyzing too.
Recently, I hit a huge blogging rut. I just kept looking up things on social media hoping that something would spark my imagination and I would come up with something “blog worthy.” But weeks passed and I had nothing. And I was so upset and disappointed. I thought this is suppose to be fun not stressful damn it! So I looked for other things to fill my “me time” instead of social media. (Cause let’s face it folks social media is great but sometimes it’s a mind fuck.) Just saying. So these past couple weeks I found other options to fill up my time and my soul. I wanted to share my ideas-just in case you think maybe social media has consumed to much of your time as well.
- Adult Coloring Book – Did you color as a child?? I did and I loved it. There was something so special about a new set of crayons and a coloring book. Coloring for me is relaxing and satisfying. I don’t think people realized all the benefits coloring had until recently. I spend some time at night, after my daughter goes to sleep, coloring. It’s been a nice and quiet escape. I get a break from my thoughts and actually have something to show for it…
- Audio Books– I promise this is not an endorsement;) I just recently subscribed to http://www.audible.com and I love it! There are some books that I really wanted to read but there was not enough time in the day. I recently took into account that I spend about an hour in the car each day driving to and from work. So why not fill that up with something enjoyable?? Right now I’m listening to “The Devil in the White City”, by Erik Larson. It’s a non-fiction book about the 1893 Chicago Worlds Fair and a serial killer that used the fair to his advantage. I love the historical aspect of it and all the drama;) I also love getting into the car to drive to work… I know this seems wrong doesn’t it? Lol
- Plants– Do you have any plants at home? I have a terrible track record with plants, but I decided that I was going to be more accountable and give it another shot. So I purchased some mums-I’m starting simple. I have been taking care of them faithfully each morning. I’ve found some satisfaction in this recent venture so I wanted to share this simple option for folks. Just a little bit of love and you get a beautiful result to enjoy.
- Exercise– I will admit that this has been a struggle for me lately. I love to run and used to the gym somewhat regularly to get my workout in. I have only made it there a couple of times lately, but I can tell the difference when I do. In the past, I have signed myself up for a race so I make myself go to the gym. But this time around I’m not there yet, but it maybe it will come.
- Reading– Apart from listening to Audible, I have started to read before I go to bed at night —instead of being on my phone. I love to read but sometimes the phone seemed easier?? If that makes sense? I will admit reading has been better for my sleep cycle. It’s also enjoyable. Which is a win/win in my book (no pun intended).
I hope this has been helpful in some small way- even if you’re not having a “social media meltdown.” We all go through different challenges in life but sometimes sharing the struggle can bring a feeling of kinship and normalicy.
Pink Thoughts & Espresso Shots💗☕️
Disclaimer- All thoughts and ideas are my own – I’m no expert;) I’m not receiving any financial compensation for this post- it’s purely my experience.